Sports Social TV Entertainer Of The Year: John Cena
2014 Sports Social TV Awards - Sports Social TV Entertainer Of The Year: John Cena
ABOUT JOHN CENA
With more than 31 million combined social media followers across Facebook (25M+) and Twitter (6M+), John Cena has cornered both the sports and entertainment markets as one of the most well-known and active social brands.
Leveraging social platforms, John Cena engages his myriad of fans by both spotlighting WWE storylines, which may include live tweeting during WWE programming like Monday Night RAW or SmackDown, and also giving fans an inside look at his personal life, including his relationship with WWE Diva Nikki Bella -- a relationship that has been heavily focused on by popular E! Network reality show, Total Divas, and also gives Cena a platform to socially engage with an audience outside of WWE.
In addition, John Cena works tirelessly to support a variety of charities, most notably, The Susan G. Komen Foundation and Make-A-Wish Foundation. To date, Cena has granted more than 400 wishes for Make-A-Wish, more than any entertainment personality or athlete. And through the #RiseAboveCancer campaign, Cena has led WWE and its Superstars to raise more than $1 million for breast cancer research since 2013.
With a Klout score of more than 86, it’s evident that Cena and his presence on social media continues to both entertain and engage both WWE fans and other online audiences.
CENA'S SOCIAL EFFORTS
- On his Facebook and Twitter channels, John Cena had more than 25.1 million engagements, and 861 million potential social impressions.
- John Cena has more followers than any athlete from NHL, MLB, NFL, NASCAR, PGA or UFC.
- Cena is the No. 7 most-followed athlete in the world on Facebook, the No. 3 most-followed American athlete behind Michael Jordan and The Rock.
- He’s the #1 most-followed active American athlete on Facebook. (non-retired)
- In the past 12 months alone, Cena’s Twitter account has added 2.5 million followers, a yearly growth of over 70%.
- The sports entertainer doesn’t just stop at popular social networks, like Twitter and Facebook. Cena also has a social presence on Instagram and, most recently, Cena has taken up Mandarin and engages a large constituent in-language on popular Asian social network, Weibo.
- Cena recently spoke on his social media efforts with Neil Cavuto on Fox Business in March 2014 (WATCH)
WWE'S SOCIAL TEAM:
HELPING CENA REACH THE WWE UNIVERSE
The eight-person WWE Social Media Team aids John Cena's social media efforts, ranging from providing John with social media Best Practices education, tactics for promoting social corporate responsibility, increasing brand awareness, and most importantly, encouraging fan-to-Superstar interaction.
Based in Stamford, Conn., WWE Social Team members travel to arenas around the globe to create engaging content, interact with fans in real time and consult with Cena, in addition to our entire roster of Superstars and Divas on how to best integrate social engagement into their personal and professional lives.
Our traveling Social Media Managers are responsible for collaborating with WWE's Television Creative Writing staff to integrate social components into our television programs reaching more than 14 million weekly television viewers. This includes WWE Monday Night Raw, the longest-running weekly episodic television program of more than 20 years.
WWE's OVERALL SOCIAL RESULTS
WWE's Social Media Team efforts have led to the following results for WWE and its Superstars in 2013:
- WWE is the most influential sports brand in social media, as ranked by Klout. We are one of only 14 brands/celebrities with a perfect 99 Klout rating.
- WWE is ranked amongst the Top 10 Most Social Brands in the World, in the weekly Dachis Group Social Business Index rankings. (socialbusinessindex.com)
- WWE has the most social TV shows on three different TV networks (WWE RAW on USA Network, WWE Main Event on ION TV, WWE SmackDown on Syfy) (source: SocialGuide)
- WWE Raw was one of the Top 5 most socially active primetime TV series of 2013. (source: SocialGuide)
- In an April 2013 study by Nestivity, WWE was ranked amongst the Top 25 Most Engaging Brands on Twitter.
- WWE and its Superstars have more than 1.3 million social mentions per week, with our shows WWE Raw and WWE SmackDown frequently No. 1 in social media mentions for both broadcast and cable television on their air dates. (Trendrr)
- WWE's Facebook network, which includes 157 Superstar and brand pages, saw a 79% percent followership gain from 2012 to 2013 with a combined following of 151.7 million Facebook fans.
- With more than 18 million followers, John Cena is the No. 8 most-followed athlete in the world on Facebook, and the No. 3 most-followed American athlete behind Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. He has has more followers than any athlete from the NHL, MLB, NFL, NASCAR, PGA or UFC.
- 18 WWE Superstars rank in the Top 100 most-followed athletes on Facebook.
- Posts from WWE's main Facebook Page were seen more than 5.1 BILLION times in 2013.
- WWE's Twitter network, which includes 192 Superstar and brand accounts, saw a 107% percent followership gain from 2012 to 2013 with a combined following of 76.3 million Twitter followers.
- 17 Superstars currently have more than 1 million Twitter followers, 40 with more than 500,000 followers, and 86 with more than 100,000 followers.
- WWE has more than 2 million YouTube subscribers, watching 69 million minutes of original content per month.
WWE, a publicly traded company (NYSE: WWE), is an integrated media organization and recognized leader in global entertainment. The company consists of a portfolio of businesses that create and deliver original content 52 weeks a year to a global audience.
WWE is committed to family friendly entertainment on its television programming, pay-per-view, digital media and publishing platforms. WWE programming is broadcast in more than 150 countries and 30 languages and reaches more than 650 million homes worldwide. The company is headquartered in Stamford, Conn., with offices in New York, Los Angeles, London, Miami, Mexico City, Mumbai, Shanghai, Singapore, Munich and Tokyo.
Additional information on WWE (NYSE: WWE) can be found at wwe.com and corporate.wwe.com. For information on our global activities, go to http://www.wwe.com/worldwide/.