Digital Consumer Brand: WWE
2015 Cynopsis Digital Model D Awards: Digital Consumer Brand: WWE
At WWE, each digital platform is not simply treated as a portal to consume content, but a destination to tell immersive stories and increase fan engagement with the overall product.
Seamless multi-screen consumption and pervasive social media presence are the primary tenets of WWE's digital brand. In an evolving landscape where consumers multi-task on mobile devices while watching WWE programming, we aim to turn platforms such as WWE Network, WWE.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and the WWE App – among many others – into essential tools for the most comprehensive sports-entertainment experience.
STRATEGY & TACTICS
With its nearly 4 million weekly viewers of Monday Night Raw and 1.2 million total subscribers watching WWE Network, WWE already has an immense fanbase consuming tons of video content. This presents a challenge in how to program additional video content across our digital platforms that is not only compelling, but integral to the storylines we are already developing on TV and WWE Network.
WWE's strategy to achieve this goal has been to create and deliver exclusive, live-streaming video content across Facebook, Instagram, WWE.com, YouTube, Periscope and the WWE App. Each platform serves a distinct purpose, all with the goal of extending the reach of WWE's brand and its one-of-a-kind connection to a passionate fanbase.
That reach also grows by leaps and bounds through our talent's engagement with their fans on Twitter, where storylines are furthered and followers become participants in the dialogue.
During every live televised event, and continuing throughout the week surrounding these events, WWE's team of content editors and social media experts strive to keep WWE fans consistently engaged. Before an event takes place, you can watch free action-packed matches on our pre-shows which are streamed live across all our digital platforms.
The live coverage continues throughout each event with video highlights and exclusive interviews with talent that you can only see on Facebook, and then continues after the event with post-show content exclusive to WWE Network or WWE.com.
WWE's digital team is quick to react to emerging social media trends by publishing in-demand content surrounding both our talent and celebrities in the realm of pop culture. Only in WWE can an impromptu Twitter war between a WWE talent (Stardust) and a star from another TV show (Stephen Amell from "Arrow") evolve organically into a match at one of WWE's biggest events of the year (SummerSlam).
- In the second quarter of 2015, WWE Network total subscribers increased 75% to more than 1.2 million from the second quarter of 2014; average paid subscribers increased 31% to approximately 1.2 million from the first quarter of 2015.
- For the second quarter of 2015, WWE.com and the WWE App combined to attract an average of more than 19 million monthly unique visitors worldwide. These visitors viewed an average of more than 391 million pages and 35 million monthly video streams.
- Followers of WWE across all of social media have totaled more than 525 million, with year-over-year growth of 38.34%. The Facebook fan count has surpassed 366 million and Twitter is closing in on 112 million. Of special note is WWE's 256.47% year-over-year growth in Instagram followers, a total which has now topped 35 million. The WWE flagship Facebook page has more fans than megabrands such as ESPN, Marvel and Nike, while WWE's flagship Twitter page has more followers than MLB, Disney and Sony, among others.
- WWE on YouTube has generated 1.7 billion views in the second quarter of 2015. That number is up 98% compared to the same quarter last year. And with more than seven million subscribers, our YouTube channel sits ahead of similar brands like IGN, HBO, ESPN and UFC.
- WWE is the most influential sports brand in social media, as ranked by Klout. We are one of only 12 brands/celebrities with a perfect 99 Klout rating.
- WWE is ranked amongst the Top 6 Most Social Brands in the World, in the weekly Sprinklr / Dachis Group Social Business Index rankings. (http://socialbusinessindex.com)
- WWE has the most social TV shows on two different TV networks (WWE RAW on USA Network, WWE SmackDown on Syfy) (source: SocialGuide)
- WWE and its Superstars have more than 1.3 million social mentions per week on average, with our shows WWE Raw and WWE SmackDown frequently No. 1 in social media mentions for both broadcast and cable television on their air dates. (source: SocialGuide)
- 27 WWE Superstars rank in the Top 100 most-followed athletes on Facebook. (FanPageList.com)
- Posts from WWE's main Facebook Page were seen more than 12 BILLION times in 2014.
WWE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
WWE on Instagram
WWE on Pinterest
WWE on Google+
2014-15 WWE DIGITAL & SOCIAL TEAM
AWARDS & HONORS
2015 Cynopsis Sports Media Awards
Cynopsis Media, April 2015
WINNER: Overall Social Media Excellence, WWE
WINNER: Over-The-Top (OTT) Content Service - WWE Network
HONORABLE MENTION: Live Coverage of Sporting Event - WWE WrestleMania 30
2015 CableFAX Digital Awards
CableFAX, March 2015
WINNER: Social Media Dream Team, WWE
WINNER: App (Smartphone), WWE Network & WWE App
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Use of Facebook, WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Use of Twitter, WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Media Campaign, WrestleMania 30
HONORABLE MENTION: Digital Marketing Campaign, WrestleMania 30
HONORABLE MENTION: App (Tablet), WWE Network & WWE App
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Good Campaign, Courage. Conquer. Cure.
2015 Webby Awards
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, April 2015
PEOPLE'S VOICE FINALIST: Mobile Sites and Apps: Entertainment – WWE Network & The WWE App
HONOREE: Overall Social Presence – WWE
HONOREE: Social Content & Marketing, Entertainment – WWE
HONOREE: Social Content & Marketing, Events – WWE WrestleMania 30
HONOREE: Online Film & Video, Entertainment – WWE Network
HONOREE: Mobile Sites and Apps: Best Streaming Video – WWE Network & The WWE App
HONOREE: Mobile Sites and Apps: Best Practices – WWE Network & The WWE App
2014 CableFAX Digital and Tech Award Winner
CableFAX Digital Awards, January 2014
WINNER: App (for Smartphone) -- The WWE App
WINNER: Social Good Campaign -- Rise Above Cancer (WWE & Susan G Komen)
HONORABLE MENTION: App (for Tablet) -- The WWE App
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Media Campaign -- WWE WrestleMania 29
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Media Dream Team -- WWE
2014 CableFAXIES Marketing Awards
CableFAX, May 2014
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Marketing of a Continuing Series: WWE Monday Night RAW
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Social Media Marketing: WWE WrestleMania 29
2014 Webby Awards
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, April 2014
PEOPLE'S VOICE WINNER: Mobile & Apps / Sports -- The WWE App
HONOREE: Mobile & Apps / Entertainment -- The WWE App
HONOREE: Social / Overall Social Presence -- WWE
HONOREE: Social / Social Content & Marketing -- WWE WrestleMania 29
HONOREE: Online Film & Video / Entertainment -- WWE on YouTube
2014 Sports Social TV Awards
Social TV Summit, May 2014
WINNER: Best Social Commerce or Marketing Program -- WWE
WINNER: Best Special Event Sports -- WWE WrestleMania 29
WINNER: Sports Social TV Entertainer of the Year -- John Cena
FINALIST: Best Sports TV Show Specific -- WWE Monday Night RAW
FINALIST: Best Mobile, iPad or Tablet Sports Social TV Application -- The WWE App
FINALIST: Best Sports Social TV Integration of Twitter -- WWE Monday Night RAW
FINALIST: Sports Social TV Entertainer of the Year – Daniel Bryan
2014 Shorty Industry Awards
Shorty Awards / Real-Time Academy, April 2014
WINNER: Best Brand on YouTube: WWE
WINNER: Best Branded Mobile App: The WWE App
WINNER: Best Use of Social Media for Sports: WWE WrestleMania 29
FINALIST: Best Use of Social Media for Television: The WWE App
FINALIST: Best Brand on Twitter: WWE
2014 Cynopsis Model D Awards
HONORABLE MENTION: Digital Team of the Year - WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Media Campaign for Cable TV - WWE Monday Night RAW
HONORABLE MENTION: Social TV Service - WWE Network
HONORABLE MENTION: Over-The-Top Content Service - WWE Network
2014 OMMA Awards
FINALIST: Online Advertising Creativity, Social: Use of a Fan Page: WWE on Facebook
2014 W3 Awards
Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts
GOLD AWARD WINNER: WrestleMania.com (Website – Events)
GOLD AWARD WINNER: WrestleMania.com (Website -- Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE.com (General Website Categories – Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE.com(General Website Categories – Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE.com(General Website Categories – Television)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: The WWE App (Mobile Applications - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (General Website Categories - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (General Website Categories – Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Video Channels and Networks – Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE's Boldest Fan Doritos JACKED campaign (Online Video – Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WrestleMania 29 (Social Media – Entertainment)