World Wrestling Entertainment
2015 Cynopsis Digital Hall of Distinction: WWE
At WWE, each digital platform is not simply treated as a portal to consume content, but a destination to tell immersive stories and increase fan engagement with the overall product.
Seamless multi-screen consumption and pervasive social media presence are the primary tenets of WWE's digital brand. In an evolving landscape where consumers multi-task on mobile devices while watching WWE programming, we aim to turn platforms such as WWE Network, WWE.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and the WWE App – among many others – into essential tools for the most comprehensive sports-entertainment experience.
With the launch of WWE Network, WWE has further bolstered its claim as a pioneer in the digital industry by becoming the first sports-entertainment brand to serve live-streaming video content on a 24/7 basis.
The WWE Network's overall success – a 75% growth in year-over-year total subscribers from 2014 to 2015 – has paved the way for an even bigger footprint of WWE's brand in the digital media landscape.
STRATEGY & TACTICS
With its nearly 4 million weekly viewers of Monday Night Raw and 1.2 million total subscribers watching WWE Network, WWE already has an immense fan base consuming tons of video content. This presents a challenge in how to program additional video content across our digital platforms that is not only compelling, but integral to the storylines we are already developing on TV and WWE Network.
WWE's strategy to achieve this goal has been to create and deliver exclusive, live-streaming video content across Facebook, Instagram, WWE.com, YouTube, Periscope and the WWE App.
Each platform serves a distinct purpose, all with the goal of extending the reach of WWE's brand and its one-of-a-kind connection to a passionate fanbase.
That reach also grows by leaps and bounds through our talent's engagement with their fans on Twitter, where storylines are furthered and followers become participants in the dialogue.
During every live televised event, and continuing throughout the week surrounding these events, WWE's team of content editors and social media experts strive to keep WWE fans consistently engaged.
Before an event takes place, you can watch free action-packed matches on our pre-shows which are streamed live across all our digital platforms.
The live coverage continues throughout each event with video highlights and exclusive interviews with talent that you can only see on Facebook, and then continues after the event with post-show content exclusive to WWE Network or WWE.com.
WWE's digital team is quick to react to emerging social media trends by publishing in-demand content surrounding both our talent and celebrities in the realm of pop culture.
Only in WWE can an impromptu Twitter war between a WWE talent (Stardust) and a star from another TV show (Stephen Amell from "Arrow") evolve organically into a match at one of WWE's biggest events of the year (SummerSlam), or have one celebrity's love for WWE become a focal point of a major SummerSlam storyline. ("Daily Show" host Jon Stewart, host of WWE SummerSlam in Brooklyn, NY).
- In the second quarter of 2015, WWE Network total subscribers increased 75% to more than 1.2 million from the second quarter of 2014; average paid subscribers increased 31% to approximately 1.2 million from the first quarter of 2015.
- For the second quarter of 2015, WWE.com and the WWE App combined to attract an average of more than 19 million monthly unique visitors worldwide. These visitors viewed an average of more than 391 million pages and 35 million monthly video streams.
- Followers of WWE across all of social media have totaled more than 525 million, with year-over-year growth of 38.34%. The Facebook fan count has surpassed 366 million and Twitter is closing in on 112 million. Of special note is WWE's 256.47% year-over-year growth in Instagram followers, a total which has now topped 35 million.
- The WWE flagship Facebook page has more fans than megabrands such as ESPN, Marvel and Nike, while WWE's flagship Twitter page has more followers than MLB, Disney and Sony, among others.
- WWE on YouTube has generated 1.7 billion views in the second quarter of 2015. That number is up 98% compared to the same quarter last year. And with more than seven million subscribers, our YouTube channel sits ahead of similar brands like IGN, HBO, ESPN and UFC.
- WWE is the most influential sports brand in social media, as ranked by Klout. We are one of only 12 brands/celebrities with a perfect 99 Klout rating.
- WWE is ranked amongst the Top 6 Most Social Brands in the World, in the weekly Sprinklr / Dachis Group Social Business Index rankings. (http://socialbusinessindex.com) -- the highest-ranked sports team or league in the Index.
- WWE has the most social TV shows on two different TV networks (WWE RAW on USA Network, WWE SmackDown on Syfy) (source: SocialGuide)
- WWE and its Superstars have more than 1.3 million social mentions per week on average, with our shows WWE Raw and WWE SmackDown frequently No. 1 in social media mentions for both broadcast and cable television on their air dates. (source: SocialGuide)
- 27 WWE Superstars rank in the Top 100 most-followed athletes on Facebook. (FanPageList.com)
- Posts from WWE's main Facebook Page were seen more than 12 BILLION times in 2014.
- WWE's Digital Content, Digital Product and Social Teams have won or been a finalist for 40 major digital and social industry awards in 2015.
WWE SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS
WWE on Instagram
WWE on Snapchat
Follow WWE on the Snapchat App on iTunes or Android for exclusive photos of our Superstars and Divas.
WWE on Pinterest
WWE on Google+
In September 2015, WWE and its Superstars and Divas encouraged donations to Connor's Cure, a charity that provides funds for pediatric brain and spinal cancer research, and medical care for children and their families, as part of Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month.
Connor's Cure is named after Connor "The Crusher" Michalek. Connor, 8, was battling medulloblastoma, a rare tumor that affects the brain and spinal cord. Connor formed a special connection with Stephanie and Paul and many WWE Superstars and Divas.
When Connor lost his battle with medulloblastoma in April 2014, Stephanie and Paul decided to honor him by creating Connor’s Cure, a fund within Children’s Foundation at Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh that supports brain tumor research.
In March, Connor was honored with the first-ever Warrior Award at the 2015 WWE Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at WWE WrestleMania 31 in San Jose, Calif.
Through Superstar appeals on-air and through social media, Connor’s Cure has raised more than $700,000, supported by WWE and fans all over the world. mostly through the sale of Connor's Cure bracelets at WWE Live Events and on WWEShop.com.
2015 WWE DIGITAL & SOCIAL TEAM
AWARDS & HONORS
2015 Cynopsis Sports Leaderboard Honoree - WWE Tough Enough
Cynopsis Media, December 2015
WWE's reality series "WWE Tough Enough" was honored as one of the top
Sports Social Media Campaigns of 2015, along with top brands such as
Buffalo Wild Wings, ESPN, FedEx, NBA, NHL, PGA Tour, Showtime, Turner Sports and US Soccer.
2015 Cynopsis Digital Hall of Distinction Inductee
Cynopsis Media, November 2015
WWE joined A&E Networks and Cartoon Network in the 2015 Inaugural Class of the
Cynopsis Hall of Distinction, honoring continued digital and social media excellence.
2015 Cynopsis Digital Model D Awards
Cynopsis Media, November 2015
HONORABLE MENTION: Digital Consumer Brand: WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Live Show - Solo Event: WWE WrestleMania 31
HONORABLE MENTION: Over-The-Top Content Service: WWE Network
HONORABLE MENTION: YouTube Original Channel: WWE on YouTube
2015 CLIO Sports Awards
CLIO Sports, August 2015
GOLD TROPHY WINNER: WWE App w/ WWE Network - Product/Service - Apps
SILVER TROPHY WINNER: WWE Social Team - Teams - Social Media
2015 Cynopsis Sports Media Awards
Cynopsis Media, April 2015
WINNER: Overall Social Media Excellence, WWE
WINNER: Over-The-Top (OTT) Content Service - WWE Network
HONORABLE MENTION: Live Coverage of Sporting Event - WWE WrestleMania 30
2015 CableFAX Digital Awards
CableFAX, March 2015
WINNER: Social Media Dream Team, WWE
WINNER: App (Smartphone), WWE Network & WWE App
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Use of Facebook, WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Best Use of Twitter, WWE
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Media Campaign, WrestleMania 30
HONORABLE MENTION: Digital Marketing Campaign, WrestleMania 30
HONORABLE MENTION: App (Tablet), WWE Network & WWE App
HONORABLE MENTION: Social Good Campaign, Courage. Conquer. Cure.
2015 Webby Awards
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, April 2015
PEOPLE'S VOICE FINALIST: Mobile Sites and Apps: Entertainment – WWE Network & The WWE App
HONOREE: Overall Social Presence – WWE
HONOREE: Social Content & Marketing, Entertainment – WWE
HONOREE: Social Content & Marketing, Events – WWE WrestleMania 30
HONOREE: Online Film & Video, Entertainment – WWE Network
HONOREE: Mobile Sites and Apps: Best Streaming Video – WWE Network & The WWE App
HONOREE: Mobile Sites and Apps: Best Practices – WWE Network & The WWE App
2015 W3 Awards
Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts, September 2015
GOLD AWARD WINNER: The WWE App w/ WWE Network (Mobile Applications - Entertainment)
GOLD AWARD WINNER: The WWE App w/ WWE Network (Mobile Applications - Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE WrestleMania 30 (Social Content & Marketing - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE WrestleMania 30 (Social Content & Marketing - Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER:: WWE Social Media (Social Features - Social Presence)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE on YouTube (Social Content & Marketing - Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE on Twitter (Social Content & Marketing - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE App w/ WWE Network (Mobile Apps/Sites - Media Streaming)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE App w/ WWE Network (Mobile Features - Best Streaming Video)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE App w/ WWE Network (Mobile Features - Integrated Mobile Experience)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (General Website Categories - Media Streaming)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (General Website Categories - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (General Website Categories - Sports)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Website Features - Structure and Navigation)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Website Features - Video or Motion Graphics)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Website Features - Visual Appeal)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Video Channels and Networks - Entertainment)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Network (Video Channels and Networks – Variety)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: Boogeyman scares WWE HQ(Online Video - Viral)
SILVER AWARD WINNER: WWE Tough Enough (General Website Categories - Entertainment